Nelson Mandela Hospitalised

Nelson Mandela Hospitalised
Nelson Mandela

AFRICANGLOBE – Former South African President Nelson Mandela has been re-admitted to hospital for treatment on a recurring lung infection, the presidency said on Thursday morning.

Presidency spokesman, Mac Maharaj said doctors were attending to Nelson Mandela, “ensuring that he has the best possible expert medical treatment and comfort”.

President Jacob Zuma wished the former president a speedy recovery.

“We appeal to the people of South Africa and the world to pray for our beloved Madiba and his family and to keep them in their thoughts.

“We have full confidence in the medical team and know that they will do everything possible to ensure recovery,” he said.

The presidency appealed for understanding and privacy in order to allow doctors to do their work.

Earlier this month, Nelson Mandela was admitted to hospital for a scheduled check-up but was discharged the following day.

In February 2012, he was admitted to hospital for a stomach ailment.

In December, Mandela underwent an operation to remove gallstones and to treat the recurring lung infection.

He was discharged after an 18-day stay and placed under home-based high care at his Houghton, Johannesburg residence.

In January, the presidency said Mandela had made a full recovery from the surgery and continued to improve.

At the time, the presidency said Mandela underwent a diagnostic procedure to investigate the cause of a long-standing abdominal complaint.

Nelson Mandela’s last major public appearance was in July 2010, at the final of the Fifa World Cup at Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg.

Since then he had spent his time between Johannesburg and his rural village of Qunu in the Eastern Cape.