AFRICANGLOBE – The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says it has destroyed a new Boko Haram Terrorist (BHT) Camp located between Malam Fatori and Kangarwa in Northern Borno.
Air Force said it carried out the attack during a night operation on Monday.
“The new camp is about 4-6km away from the BHT location attacked earlier on 20 August 2016 by NAF Mi-17 helicopter within the same vicinity in a similar night operation that led to the death of about 300 insurgents,” a statement signed by spokesperson Ayodele Fayimuwa, said.
“The post-strike Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) mission had revealed that surviving BHTs converged at the new location.”
It said the information was later confirmed to be true by series of follow-up Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions that led to the latest strike.
“Recall that the general area around Malam Fatori and Kangarwa is infested with BHTs hence the need to clear the remnants of BHT in the area.
“The air assault is therefore expected to further degrade the capability of the insurgents while fostering the creation of the necessary enablement for own ground troops to operate,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, NAF Alpha Jets have helped to repel an attack by BHTs on troops of 153 Battalion who were on fighting patrol at Ala Lumshe.
The troops, on Saturday had come under attack from BHTs about 4km south of Marte when the Alpha Jets were called-in to dislodge the insurgents.