If you remember during the 2008 Presidential election, there was a strong effort to try to expose the faith of then Senator Obama. Many tried to label him an extremist because of his connection with the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright.
I am curious to know if Mitt Romney will receive the same type of treatment given the lack of knowledge that most Americans have about the Mormon faith. I think that faith must be on the table since it was a factor in the previous election. Perhaps the reason it has not been raised is because the GOP leaders know that up to 25% of their base absolutely will not vote for a Mormon regardless of his credentials.
Let’s take a look at some of the beliefs of GOP Presidential Candidate, Mitt Romney Mormon’s faith. All of the information provided was taken from the Mormon Faith Tenets.
- The Mormon faith teaches that God the Father was initially a regular man who had a wife and they both lived on a celestial planet. They conceived and produced celestial offspring which gave birth to spirits that created Jesus, the devil and mankind. Once babies are born, they receive one of these spirits. (Journal of Discourses Vol. 6 page 265)
- Mormon’s believe that members who tithe 10% of their income will become gods of their own celestial planet.
- Mormons believe that the Book of Mormon is more accurate that the Christian Bible. (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461)
- Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are spirit brothers. (Mormon doctrine page 163)
- Mormons believe that Jesus return to New Jerusalem will be on the American Continent. (Mormon Article of Faith #10)
- Mormons believe that the gospel will be propagated through the Book of Mormon, not the bible. (Doctrines and Covenants section 10)
- Mormons believe in baptizing the dead by proxy.
- The Mormon church has a very disappointing past of allowing Blacks to become clergy men.
According a Christian Post article,” What do Mormons Believe? Ex-Mormon speaks out, October 18, 2011 by reporter Devenish the following items were cited about Mormon beliefs:
- Mormons do not believe in the trinity.
- Mormons do not believe in grace.
- Mormons do not believe in the original sin of man. According to the article, you cannot sin until the age of eight.
- Mormons do not believe in hell.
- Mormons believe that you can own your own planet if you are a good Mormon, married in the temple and tithe.
- The ten tribes of Israel will return back to Missouri.
I took the time to itemize some of the different beliefs that Mitt Romney believes in to show that he is not a perfect candidate just because he seemingly names the name of Christ. We have to be careful with the Trojan Horses the GOP sends our way in the name of religion.
I challenge all African American pastors to consider if they want to vote for someone who believes totally different from what they preach every Sunday. If you can vote for Mitt Romney with a clear conscience knowing his religious beliefs, his insensitive policies that do not benefit the African American community then go for it. If you have reservations, then you must consider our current commander and chief or stand on the sideline.
By; Kevin M. Jackson