Lonely Planet, the global travel guidebook company, has named Addis Ababa, Ethiopia as one of the world’s best cities to visit in 2013.
Lonely Planet placed Addis Ababa 9th in a top 10 cities list in its Best in Travel 2013 publication.
San Francisco, California finished top in the list followed by Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and Hyderbad (India) in second and third place respectively.
Addis Ababa’s Profile: Like the Ethiopian marathon runners, Addis Ababa (often shortened to plain ‘Addis’) is evolving at a fast pace. The fact that the country’s economic growth should reach almost 5% in 2013 helps create a feeling of confidence and stamina. Founded little more than a century ago, Addis Ababa, which in Amharic means ‘New Flower’, is not only the diplomatic capital of Africa and a thriving metropolis, but also a groovy city that takes pride in its multifaceted assets.
Best in Travel 2013 – Top 10 cities
1. San Francisco, USA – Darling of America’s west coast- Best for: Culture, events, food.
2. Amsterdam, The Netherlands – Golden Age charmer prepares to party- Best for: Culture, events, food.
3. Hyderabad, India – Old City recapturing past glories – Best for: Culture, food, value for money.
4. Londonderry/Derry, Northern Ireland – Packed calendar for UK City of Culture – Best for: Culture, events, family.
5. Běijīng, PR China – Capital on cusp of greatness – Best for: Culture, value for money, food.
6. Christchurch, New Zealan – Rising from the rubble with flair – Best for: Culture, events, family.
7. Hobart, Tasmania (Australia) – Harbour town becomes hip – Best for: Events, culture, food.
8. Montréal, Canada – Mélange of cultures marries brains and beauty – Best for: Culture, events, value for money.
9. Addis Ababa, Ethiopian metropolis evolving at pace – Best for: Culture, food, value for money.
10. Puerto Iguazú, Argentina – Much more than just a waterfall – Best for: Family, activities, adventure.