AFRICANGLOBE – The Nigerian government says 36 towns have been recaptured from the Boko Haram terrorist group since the start of the Nigerian, Nigerien, Chadian and Cameroonian offensive against the terrorist group, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Four towns have been retaken since Friday, March 6, 2015, including three in Borno State and Buni Yadi in the neighbouring Yobe State, The Street Journal reported citing the National Security spokesman Mike Omeri. “It is hoped that the unfolding regional cooperation will hasten the total defeat and extermination of Boko Haram in Nigeria and the sub-region,” Mike Omeri is quoted to have said.
Crucial cooperations and alliances, he reportedly said, have led to victories over Boko Haram as the allied countries have cut off supply lines of the terrorists. To demonstrate the contribution of allied countries, Nigerien and Chadian forces in the first-ever joint offensive against Boko Haram last weekend, recaptured from the terrorist group the towns of Damasak and Malam Fatouri.
The head of Nigeria’s National Intelligence Agency, Ayodele Oke, speaking at the Atlantic Council think-tank in Washington DC United States of America, said Boko Haram still controlled four local government areas. As the Multinational Joint Task Force endorsed by the African Union prepares to engage in a full scale war against Boko Haram, other countries such as the U.S.A are reviewing different ways of assistance. The U.S. government, The Street Journal reported, on March 11, 2015 said it was seeking to revive a training programme with the Nigerian military that was pulled last year after a dispute over weapons procurement.
Nigeria has maintained that its troops were controlling operations since the four nations launched an offensive against Boko Haram. The fighting has displaced more than 1.5 million people in Nigeria but National Security Spokesman, Omeri claimed some were “now returning to their homesteads to settle back into normal life”.
By: Emmanuel Kendemeh