AFRICANGLOBE – A total of 268 Boko Haram terrorists have again surrendered with their ammunition to the Nigerian troops on Tuesday alone.
Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) which disclosed this on Wednesday noted that the terrorists made not less than four attempts between September 12 – 17, 2014 to beat the security and enter Konduga to perpetrate their atrocities but were repelled, killing many of them in the process.
It vowed to deal severely with anyone that assumes the position of Shekau since one Mohammed Bashir who had been acting or posing on videos as the deceased Abubakar Shekau known as leader of the group, has been killed.
“A total of 135 terrorists have Wednesday evening surrendered along with equipment to troops around Biu Local Government Area.
A group of 88 submitted themselves at Mairiga/Bun – Yadi while another group of 45 terrorists were taken in around Mubi – Michika. They are all being interrogated and processed in conformity with the dictates of standard best practices.
“Nigerian troops have been conducting co-ordinated air and land operations in furtherance of efforts at containing the terrorists in the North East part of the country,” the statement said.
At a point, it became apparent that the terrorists in continuation of their campaign of terror were determined to take over communities around Maiduguri which had been their prime target.
“There was therefore the need to ensure that communities such as Konduga were protected as air and land forces were subsequently deployed to handle the situation.
“The convoy of combat vehicles typical of terrorists’ mission that involves their top commanders were fiercely engaged by the land and air forces. Several of the terrorists including some of their commanders lost their lives in the encounters which lasted an average of about five hours each.
“The troops captured some of the terrorists and their equipment. In the course of those encounters, one Mohammed Bashir who has been acting or posing on videos as the deceased Abubakar Shekau, the eccentric character known as leader of the group died.
“Since the name Shekau has become a brand name for the terrorists’ leader, the Nigerian military remains resolute to serve justice to anyone who assumes that designation or title as well as all terrorists that seek to violate the freedom and territory of Nigeria,”a the DHQ stated.
On restoring normalcy after the encounter, the DHQ stated that inhabitants of the community who were victims of terrorists activities corroborated information on the identity of Bashir Mohammed alias Abubakar Shekau, alias Abacha Abdullahi Geidam alias Damasack etc.
ALSO: Boko Haram Members Abandon Sick Chibok Girl in Bush
An unfortunate condition appears to have worked for the good of one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls, as she was found abandoned after health issues obviously forced the Boko Haram sect to drop her off at Kalaha, a remote village in Borno State.
The girl, who was discovered and identified by students in the village, gave her name as Susan Ishaya. She explained that she had been abandoned two days earlier, having been driven to the area in a Volkswagen Golf car.
Revealing this to the members of the #BringBackOurGirls Group yesterday, the chairman of Chibok community in Abuja, Tshalaba Hosea-Abana explained that a man identified as Rev Enoch had called to brief him on the situation of the abandoned girl.
Hosea-Abana explained that from the pictures of the abducted girls released earlier, the girl was identified. However, the name Susan Ishaya was not on the list.
“One of the Chibok schoolgirls was abandoned in the bush. One Rev Enoch called me that she was seen at Kalaha. People were running away, because they thought she had come to bomb them. She was disoriented. She was taken to a police station in Maraba Mubi. And when she was interviewed, she said that her name is Susan Ishaya.
“Rev Enoch said she had been taken to the hospital and is receiving treatment. We were told that she was carried in a Golf car and thrown in the bush where she stayed for two days until she found herself at Kahala,” he said.
He explained that names on the list of the abducted girls similar to hers are Hauwa Ishaya and Susan Yakubu and noted that the traumatic conditions the girl had been exposed to might be responsible for the name mix-up, as the abandoned girl was reported to be critically ill and is currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
He called on the relevant authorities to interview her and get information from her that could assist further investigations.
By: Chika Mefor, Ejike Ejike