The ANC Youth League says its long-held view that charges against its leadership are part of a political conspiracy have been vindicated by comments made by unpopular ANC president Jacob Zuma last week.
Ronald Lamola, the deputy president of the league, said on Friday night that consideration was being given to withdrawing Julius Malema’s appeal against his expulsion from the party following comments by Zuma that the league should prepare to elect a new leader soon.
“We are shocked because, at this stage, no one should know the outcome of the [national disciplinary committee of appeals] process but the comment by the president reflects that he does.
“So we are going to consult the leadership of the ANC and structures of the youth league [to ask] if it is really necessary for us to continue with the [appeals] process because it seems as if it has already been concluded – so there might be no need for the youth league to continue with that,” said Lamola.
Zuma told a breakfast meeting of business people in Port Elizabeth that the youth league will have to move on at the conclusion of Malema’s disciplinary process.
“Once the process of disciplinary procedures has been concluded there will not be anything else to do thereafter – the youth league will have to move forward.
“It [the youth league] will have to have a new president that will be able to move the organisation forward, I don’t think it’s a crisis,” Zuma said.
The ANC expelled Malema after finding him guilty of bringing the party into disrepute and creating division.
He has appealed but it is not known when the appeals committee will announce its verdict.