Home Africa White Supremacists Who Murdered Chris Hani Stabbed In South African Prison

White Supremacists Who Murdered Chris Hani Stabbed In South African Prison

Chris Hani
Chris Hani was seen as the natural successor to Nelson mandela

AFRICANGLOBE – Two White males convicted of assassinating anti-apartheid leader Chris Hani, survived a prison attack yesterday when a fellow inmate stabbed them with a sharpened spoon, a South African government spokesman said.“Offenders Clive Derby-Lewis and Janus Walusz were attacked by one offender with a ‘kitchen table spoon’,” said correctional services spokesman Manelisi Wolela, without elaborating.

“They both suffered some lacerations in their heads and hands at the Kgosi Mampuru Correctional Centre” in the south African capital Tshwane, he said in a statement.

Wolela refused to give further details on the attack until a police investigation has been completed.

White supremacist former lawmaker Derby-Lewis (78), and Polish immigrant Walusz (61), are serving 25 years for shooting dead South African Communist Party leader Hani in front of his home in 1993.

The death of the charismatic and hugely popular leader came at a crucial point in political negotiations to end White minority apartheid rule, and many feared it would push the country over the edge.

The assassination pushed racial tensions to near-breaking point, prompting riots and deaths that pushed late liberation leader Nelson Mandela to call for peace in a nationally televised address.


Another Report: The convicted killers of Umkhonto weSizwe commander Chris Hani were stabbed at Kgosi Mampuru Correctional Centre in Pretoria yesterday.

Janusz Walus was stabbed in the head and arms several times while Clive Derby-Lewis, 78, was stabbed in the head nine times and in the left arm another nine times with a sharpened spoon.

“He was taken by ambulance to the Steve Biko Hospital for X-rays,” Derby-Lewis’s attorney Marius Coertze said yesterday.

Coertze could not confirm the motive for the stabbing.

Walus, 63, and Derby-Lewis were initially given death sentences, which were later commuted to life, for the 1993 murder of Hani.

Derby-Lewis has applied unsuccessfully for parole on several occasions, most recently in April 2013.

Correctional services spokesperson Manelisi Wo-lela said that Walus and Derby-Lewis had been treated and that their attacker had been locked up.

“Our officials have spoken to the two attacked offenders who said ‘nothing is serious’.

“But we will continue to monitor the situation and may send them for further examination.”

The police and the Department of Corrections are investigating the attack.

Wolela said that more information would be provided after the investigation, which is expected to uncover the motive for the attack.


Life And Times Of Chris Hani


Exit mobile version