Home Editorial A Letter To The Black Man: Wake Up Or Extinction Looms

A Letter To The Black Man: Wake Up Or Extinction Looms

-

A Letter To The Black Man: Wake Up Or Extinction Looms
It is time for us to take knowledge seriously

Then the anthropologist will say to a class of visiting students, “You know, it’s really amazing when you think about it. They had the intellectual potential to thrive, but they just didn’t have any common sense. The major downfall of ‘Homeboy’ (a nickname they assigned to our species) was that he lacked a sense of community, and had less than rudimentary coping skills. But there’s one thing you’ve got to give him – he was the coolest thing on the planet, while he was around. He didn’t have much common sense, but the brother could sho’nuff sag.”

The upshot will be, we’ll finally get the attention that we so passionately craved. But the downside is, it’ll be on the History Channel.

I Bear Witness

I sit, I watch,

and I grow ever more obsolete

as I bear witness.

I bear witness

to a once vibrant people greedily gulping down society’s hemlock.

Even as they claim to be “keeping it real,“ they continue to maim, kill, and despise their own in hot pursuit of the prime directive with the passion of a sheetless klan.

I bear witness

to Black fists in the air in false solidarity promoted by self-serving poverty pimps as the world looks on and giggle at crooked fingers pointed elsewhere.

I bear witness

to the superficial attempt to ban the “N-word” while the new “un-n*ggas” stand around watching children killing children and fathers drugging sons,as they celebrate, lionize, and enrich those who denigrate the very womb of their culture with impunity.

I bear witness

to a generation of lost knowledge, cut off from its roots by Ronnie’s “Just say no” generation of crack, greed, death, and political corruption; A generation where the new N-word is pronounced “Responsibility” and the keepers of the flame completely ignore the destructive power of b*tch, sl*t, wh*re, and tr*mp.

I bear witness

to the reckless disregard of the words uneducated, irresponsible, and classless. Should we not ban these words as well, or should we ban banning words altogether as we celebrate their meaning?

Yes, I do bear witness.

I bear witness to a new world -a world where gross ignorance comes disguised as enlightenment, and funky sneakers look down with disdain upon the sweet smell of Florsheim; a world where saggin’ pants and gaudy glitter enable country bumpkins to masquerade as elegant, and the exquisite surrender of eloquence is the very essence of what it means to be hip.

Where’s Langston? Where’s Baldwin? Where’s Oscar Brown, Jr?We need you stormin’ this beach, because . . .

I now bear witness

to a world where motherhood stands alone, to be “dope” renders a smile, and posterity is forced to embrace the wind for paternal sustenance; A world where the walking dead strut about rapping the wisdom of idiocy, and we praise the illiteracy of vulgar nursery rhymes as profound; a world where the mother of salvation’s final gasp is compared to the pigmentation of brown paper bags.

Malcolm, Martin, where are you?I once stood with a crowd. Now seemingly alone,I’m forced to bear witness -horrific witness . . .to the imminent demise of our people,

And my heart bleeds.

The Tail Wagging The Dog

The focus of this article is a critique of the Black popular culture and the negative impact that it’s having on Black youth – and through extension, the Black community as a whole – and not the vast majority of Black people who are fully functional and well adjusted.

The reason we decided to emphasize the dysfunctional is, due to the focus of the media, the tail is wagging the dog. A 15% minority of the Black culture is dictating the trajectory of the remaining 85% of the Black majority. So the tact taken here is designed to hold a mirror up to the more responsible segment of the Black community and wake them up to what we’re allowing to happen to our culture. We would be remiss, however, if we didn’t present at least a glimpse of the Black community that you don’t generally see in the media.

FACTS THAT THE MEDIA DON’T TELL YOU

The vast majority of Black people in this country are middle class or above. African Americans are the second largest consumer group in America with a combined buying power of over $1.1 trillion. In 2007 there were 1.9 million African American owned businesses, up 61% from 2002 according to the U.S. Census.

So again, the bottom line is, the media focuses on the 15% of Black people who are struggling, unemployed, and/or dysfunctional. But they never discuss the 85% who are gainfully employed, never go to jail, don’t use drugs, and are living the American dream just like any other group of middle-class Americans:

 

By: Eric L. Wattree

81,421FansLike
1,738FollowersFollow
3,422FollowersFollow

Trending Articles