AFRICANGLOBE – A thug cop caught hitting a handcuffed teenager with a baton in footage circulated online has been placed on restricted duties while the incident is investigated, it has emerged.
Video footage shows the plain-clothed officer detaining a Black 17-year-old during a stop-and-search in Romford on Monday, during which he can be seen striking the boy multiple times.
The teenager, who does not appear to attack the officer, can be heard shouting and asking him to stop, before kneeling on the floor and saying: “I am a child […] This is illegal.”
The Metropolitan Police said they had referred the matter to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which had launched an independent investigation.
And the force told reporters on Saturday that the officer had been placed on “restricted duties”, meaning he cannot do certain types of work while the investigation is underway.
The teenager was searched along with another younger male and allegedly found in possession of class B drugs and was subsequently arrested. He was later released under investigation.
Former deputy mayor of London Lee Jasper said he wished to make a formal complaint to the Metropolitan Police and Mayor of London about “this wanton act of apparent police brutality”.
“You have no legitimacy in policing people like this and soon from now, I predict your officers will be routinely resisted, in some areas, as consequence of your utter failure to rein in officers such as this,” he said.
A petition has been launched calling for the “urgent and immediate” suspension of the officer, and urging the London Mayor to launch a public investigation with a community selected panel, “in an effort to provide total transparency around the circumstances of this arrest”.
Zubaida Haque, deputy director of race equality think tank the Runnymede Trust, tweeted: “While we don’t know the whole story, this appalling video […] not only raises serious questions about the disproportionate use of force against children, but also the hostile nature of stop and search checks against Black people.”
The Met Police said in a statement: “A full review into the circumstances surrounding the incident was carried out by the East Area Command Unit professional standards team, in liaison with the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards.
“A public complaint was received, then referred to the IOPC, who have now launched an independent investigation.
“The MPS continues to work with our communities and will listen and act with regards to community concerns; we remain committed to keeping Londoners safe.”
By: May Bulman