Home Headlines Chicago Cops Shoot 13-Year-Old Boy, Eight Times

Chicago Cops Shoot 13-Year-Old Boy, Eight Times

An independent police review board is investigating the Monday night shooting of a young teen by Chicago Police officers.

The youth, 13-year-old honor student Jimmell Cannon, was shot by officers who said they believed he matched the description of a person involved in a shooting near the 4300 block of W. Walton, authorities said.

A spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police, in published reports, said the youth was armed with a BB gun and would not drop it. The spokesman also said the youth turned the gun on the officers, prompting an officer to fire his weapon.

But a witness told a local station that Cannon “did not have a weapon in his hand of any sort … He didn’t have anything in his hand.”

Eric Meullenbach, general counsel for the Chicago Independent Police Review Authority,said that the review authority will talk to officers, witnesses and everyone involved.

“We go to the scene. We interview the officers, witnesses and do a thorough investigation, Meullenbach said. “We started investigating right away. It is required by the ordinance that established the Chicago Independent Police Review Authority.”

Cannon’s parents say he was at Humboldt Park with other relatives, including several adults, celebrating his cousin’s 17th birthday when the shooting occurred.

Cannon’s father, Jimmy Porter, a chicago televison channel the boy was shot eight times in the shoulders, hand and leg.

His mother, Kenyata Cannon, was incensed.

“They are supposed to serve and protect,” Kenyata Cannon said in an interview outside of Stroger Hospital, where her son is being treated, He is in serious to critical condition, but is expected to fully recover.

“If you see 13-year-old doing something wrong, you get a switch or a belt. You don’t shoot him down like he’s an animal,” she said.

Here’s what happened, according to a statement provided to the media by the Chicago Police Department:

On July 25th at approximately 11:00 p.m., Harrison (11th) District officers were responding to a call of shots fired that occurred in the 4300 Block of W. Walton, when they observed an individual matching the description of the offender in the 4200 Block of W. Cortez.

As the officers attempted to stop the individual, he fled, and the officers pursued. The offender produced a weapon and pointed it in the direction of the officers. At that time, an officer discharged his weapon, striking the offender.

The offender was taken into custody and transported to a local hospital. A weapon was recovered on the scene in the 1000 block of North Kedvale.

But Andrea McClay, who was reported to have been among those celebrating the birthday, chicago media that Cannon’s hands were in the air when he was shot eight times – twice in the hand, twice in the shoulder and four times in the leg.

She called him “a 13-year-old innocent child just having fun in the park.”

Cannon was the second person shot Monday night by Chicago police, authorities confirmed.

Another person in an unrelated incident was wounded on the west side when police said he refused to drop his weapon.

Through June of this year, the Independent Review Authority investigated 35 incidents of officer-involved shootings.

A total of 14 people died in the first six months of this year in Chicago police officer-involved shootings, according to data from the review authority. An overwhelming majority of the victims – more than 95 percent – have been black men.

Meullenbach said he could not estimate the length of time it will take to complete the investigation into Cannon’s shooting.

“It depends on the elements involved in the investigation,” he said.

Kenyata Cannon, in an article published by the Chicago Tribune, said she still is speechless.

“That my son was shot, I’m just surprised,” she said in the Tribune report. “I want justice to be served for my son’s well being.”

Exit mobile version