AFRICANGLOBE – Last week a Cook County judge ruled that the City of Chicago has until Wednesday to release to the public dash cam footage of teenager Laquan McDonald being shot and killed by a white police officer in October of last year.
On Tuesday, the Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez is expected to announce whether she has decided to charge the officer, Jason Van Dyke, with murder or a lesser charge, according to both the Chicago Sun-Times and WGN-TV. If Van Dyke is charged, it would be the first time for an “on duty” police officer in Chicago history.
The video, which has only been seen by a handful of people, is repeatedly referred to as “disturbing.” The city’s counsel, who did see the footage, told the city council—which did not see the footage—that the city should pay a $5 million settlement to McDonald’s family before the family even filed a claim. The city, thepolice, and community leaders are all currently on alert for potential unrest in the city.
It must be bad.
The 17-year-old McDonald was said to be acting erratically and allegedly carrying a four-inch knife when confronted by police in October 2014. Police claim that McDonald refused to drop the knife and lunged at an officer, who then shot McDonald 16 times. Although an autopsy revealed that McDonald had PCP in his system at the time of death, lawyers for the family say the video contradicts the officer’s story. The FBI is currently investigating the case.
By: Thandisizwe Chimurenga
State Terrorism And The War On Black America