Insider Information On How To Buy Skin Care Products
There is a vast array of skin care products available today, and sometimes we may feel overwhelmed by the choices that are before us. This does not have to be a confusing issue as long as you know what your skin needs in a skin care product. Here are some guidelines to follow that will help you make a better choice.
You must first be able to read and understand product labels. You must know what you are buying and its application to your skin each day. What will appear first on the label is the active ingredient that is used the most and the least active will appear last on the list.
You must be able to recognize any harmful ingredients. Try to avoid products containing astringents, alcohols or such names as laureth sulfate, sorbitol or sodium lauryl. Some of the cheap products will possibly contain cheap fillers in order to keep the price low. Some colorants and perfumes may cause skin irritation, blemishes or breakouts.
If you want to stay away from harmful chemicals and ingredients, perhaps it would be best to use natural products. Fruit, vegetables, milk, honey and oils can be used to make effective and gently products for all skin types and conditions. Aloe vera and lanolin are used in products that help soothe and moisturize the skin in a gentle way. Just make sure to check the label before you buy.
There is a variety of skin care creams and lotions to choose from. These range from acne treatments, daily moisturizers to anti-aging regimens. There are also products that will help prevent wrinkles from appearing and will also slow down fine line appearance. Anti-aging skin care products contain two effective ingredients: BHA or beta-hydroxy acids and AHA or alpha-hydroxy acids. These are found naturally in such fruits as grapes and apples. They encourage new cell growth by getting rid of dead cells on the skin.
You are only able to get skin care products that contain tretinoins from your doctor or dermatologist. Tretinoins not only reverse damage to skin caused by the sun but also reduce the appearance of wrinkles. They are considered a medication because they are able to alter the structure of skin cells. Tretinoins rejuvenate the skin by replacing it with newer and healthier skin. They treat fine lines, dark skin spots, rough patches and wrinkles. If you have a serious skin problem, consult your doctor or dermatologist.
After you acquire knowledge of ingredients, you then have to determine your skin type. If you are unsure, consult a dermatologist. This is a good idea if you suffer from allergic reactions, skin rashes and breakouts. If the wrong skin product is used, you could do more harm than good. For example, if you have oily skin and you moisturize your skin with a greasy cream, you are likely to plug up your pores. If you have dry skin, you do not want to use an alcohol based product as it may leave your skin feeling tight and drawn.
Try to find out whether your skin is dry, oil or if it is a combination of both and if you break out easily or are prone to acne. You may have sensitive skin or you may be allergic to some of the ingredients that are found in skin care preparations. Some women only wish to have natural ingredients while others want to get an anti-aging product so that their skin may look young and healthy again. You may need to try several products before you find the one you desire.
Following are five tips to help you choose the very best skin care products:
1. Skin type. You must know your skin type in order to choose the right products. Most people have dry, sensitive, oily or a combination of oily and dry skin.
2. Read the label. Read the entire label before you buy a skin care product. Since water is necessary to hydrate the skin, choose a product that has water as the first or second ingredient on the label. It may be listed as aqua.
3. What season is it? During the course of the year, your skin type may change. For instance, if you have dry skin during the winter, you should avoid skin care products containing alcohol or astringents as these will dry out you skin even more.
4. Check prices. Some products have a high price tag so you should know how much and how often you will use the product. Price is not everything. What works wonders for one person may not do the job for another. Products that are less expensive may have to be applied more often.
5. Use the product faithfully. If you want the product to work, then use it the way it should be used. This includes anti-aging creams and sunscreens. If a product calls for using it twice daily, then use it in the morning and just before bedtime.
Follow these tips and you will find the best skin care product that will make you look years younger.